WHAT DO YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT?
In the ever-evolving world of interior design, one concept has been gaining significant attention in recent years: Universal Interior Design. This innovative approach aims to create spaces that are not only visually stunning but also adaptable to accommodate a wide range of people’s needs and preferences. As an interior designer, I love to transform your home by incorporating features that promote safety, accessibility, and comfort for everyone, regardless of age or ability. In this blog post, I’ll delve into the principles of Universal Interior Design and explore how they can be seamlessly integrated into your home, adding a touch of luxury to your life.
Functionality Meets Style
When embarking on a renovation project, it’s crucial to consider the functionality of the space. Universal Interior Design emphasizes features that cater to both standing and seated positions. This thoughtful approach ensures that your space not only looks aesthetically pleasing but also serves its purpose effectively.
- Opt for appliances with hinges on the side, as they are safer and easier to open, providing convenience to all users.
- Choose door handles over knobs to eliminate the need for grip strength and twisting motions, making it accessible to everyone.
- Place appliance controls on the front or side for ease of access, whether standing or seated.
- Install light switches at a maximum height of 48 inches, ensuring they can be reached by all occupants.
Inclusive to Bathrooms
Bathrooms are spaces where the principles of Universal Interior Design can truly shine. Consider these elements when designing a bathroom that accommodates all:
- Showers with both a fixed showerhead and an adjustable hand-spray provide flexibility for users of varying heights and mobility.
- Eliminate curb thresholds in showers to create a seamless entry, reducing the risk of tripping and enhancing accessibility.
- Choose no-slip tiles and low-pile carpets throughout the bathroom to prevent accidents, catering to the safety of small children and elderly family members alike.
A Timeless Approach
Universal Interior Design is not just about creating accessible spaces; it’s about ensuring that these design elements stand the test of time. By prioritizing practicality and functionality, we can guarantee that your space will offer long-lasting benefits to you and your guests of all ages and abilities. This is particularly important if you are looking to “age-in-place.”
Incorporate lever-style hardware for doors and cabinets, ensuring ease of use and durability. These thoughtful touches not only enhance accessibility but also exude a sense of luxury and sophistication.
A Good Investment
Because it’s main purpose is inclusivity, building or adapting a home using universal design is a good investment. It means you are making your home appealing to the widest possible market. Who knows who your next buyer is? If you had wider doorways and a zero entrance shower perhaps that person with MS, or a family with a wheelchair-bound child, will fall in love with your home over all others.
Universal Interior Design is a forward-thinking approach that seeks to create spaces where color, comfort, functionality, and luxury coexist harmoniously. By implementing these principles in my designs, I transform homes into welcoming sanctuaries that cater to the diverse needs and preferences of all occupants. My role as an interior designer extends beyond aesthetics; it’s about creating spaces that enrich lives and promote inclusivity.
Hi, I’m Holley Pokora, and since 2001, I’ve worked with builders, realtors, and homeowners creating beautiful, swoon-worthy spaces that are right for you. Are you ready for a designer home of your dreams? Book a consultation!